August 4, 2008

The Experiment: Success or Failure

The Durango was driven 424 miles to establish a baseine MPG wich was 14.24MPG. This included city and highway driving by several drivers. The test I did with the HHO generator was 19.3 miles using 1.61 gallons of fuel or 11.98 MPG. We did another short test and drove 54 miles and used 4.9 gallons of fuel or 11.7 MPG. It seems with the generator in use the mileage goes down.

The reason I stopped using the generator was twofold. I wanted to refill the device with distilled water, but the filling cap didn't want to open and turned when I tried to open it. The top of the device is a flexible rubber lid with holes drilled in it, with the various fittings glued in place. It is rather a crude device, it functioned as advertised, but didn't seem to live up to the claims. Part of this is due to the computer controls. The computer in the car tells the injectors how much fuel to put into the cylinder for optimum combustion. With the HHO generator running, you are injecting a rich fuel mixture in to the cylinder, because the computer isn't aware of the HHO gas that is being used. We will need to figure out how to fuel the oxygen sensors into thinking the fuel mixture is richer than it actually is, therefore sending less gasoline into the cylinder . This must be possible, it is just determining how it is done.

The good news is that since I have a baseline mileage on this vehicle, I started another experiment with it. I had asked a friend of mine to provide a product called ee-oil. This is a fuel additive that has been very thoroughly tested and is supposed to get 5-10% better fuel economy. That might not sound like a lot, but if you go from 20 to 22 MPG, if you have a 20 gallon tank, that is 40 miles farther per tank. I you use 1 tank of fuel per week, in a year you will actually be able to drive almost 2,100 miles further on the same amount of fuel. At 22 MPG you would save almost $380 in fuel costs. I believe that my math is being conservative because i have heard some users claim a lot higher fuel savings. I have driven the Durango about 100 miles since I refilled the tank and added the fuel treatment. I will be reporting the results this weekend.

I hope the results are better than I expect.

No comments: