March 18, 2008

Field Trip

Several weeks ago my wife led a field trip to Los Angeles with 50 high school students. Since there are several male students in the group, I went along as a chaperon. She teaches sewing, clothing design and marketing. We toured FIDM, Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, to show what they taught, see the campus etc. We also went to Woodbury University, a small private school that specializes in teaching fashion design, architecture and business. This is a way to let students know what is out there, and that there are many schools to choose from. Fidm also has a large fashion show that is held in an aircraft hangar. It is a huge production and very enlightening if you have never been to one before. Several thousand spectators, a number of clothing designers and lots of models. booming sound system and lots of lights. I am always impressed at the designs that they come up with. What you see on the runway is what people will be wearing next year.

We went to Hollywood Boulevard and did the tourist thing. Took a tour of Grauman's, now Mann's Chinese theatre. The students had never seen anything quite like it. I was also impressed. We also visited Rodeo drive, to see the high dollar shops. It is amazing what they have to offer, if you have to ask a price, you shouldn't be there. We also stopped at the beach for a few minutes. Some of these students had never been there before.

My point is the students. I think about when I was that age, and there isn't a whole lot of difference. We didn't have all the electronic toys that we have now. I remember the car stereo going from 4 to 8 track and then cassette. I still have a few 8 track cartridges and player just in case. Getting back on point. There are still the students that are very obedient, outgoing and helpful. There are still the ones who are impolite and want their way and can't cooperate. and every type in between.

This is the third time I have made this trip, and it renews my faith in humanity. Even though things change, they still stay the same. I was looking at a 20 year old newspaper last week. I noticed when reading the articles, that if you changed the names of the people involved, you would be reading current events.

You do read about the teens and young people getting in trouble, but for the most part they are good people and we do have hope for the future.

No comments: