March 22, 2008

phone messages

I find that telephones are a very necessary part of modern life. They allow us to stay in contact with friends, relatives and business contacts. The complexity of the phone system tends to bother me at times. When you call a contact on one phone system, you get a message "we will play music until we locate the user you are calling. Another system uses a message " you can press a button to leave a message or just wait for the tone" Even though these messages are useful, they tend to get aggravating. I have been using phone systems since you had to put your finger in a disk with letters and numbers on it in order to make a phone call. I think I have pretty good knowledge of how a these systems work.

I have noticed a trend that I do not quite understand. I make a phone call to talk to someone. The phone answers, and I have to listen to someones favorite music. What this music is and how long it goes on varies from person to person. I am not sure where this trend started or why. Is it that they want you to know what their favorite song is? Does this song represent a message that they want you to hear? I am not really sure.

When I make a phone call, I want to contact the person I am calling, convey a message, get a response and then go on about my business. In 99 our of 100 cases, I am not really interested in listening to music. I consider myself to be a well rounded person who appreciates music, but some types of music, I would just rather not listen to. To force someone to listen to something they don't particularly want to hear, as a requirement to speak with you, could be considered rude or selfish. If you want to talk to me, you need to hear part of my favorite song and waste your air time in order to do it.

A message if you aren't available to take a call is good. A message between the phone connecting and you answering is not so good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was nice when phone companies let cell phone users set their phone to ring with a certain song when different people call. That feature lets you quickly know who's calling.

Changing the sound the calling person hears when the phone is ringing to some sort of song seems a little more intrusive and less useful.

Eliaz Beth said...

They were so good, I am even going to tell you which companies they occurred at: Thorntons (a service station/mini-mart for those of you who do not know) and Chase Bank. Let me tell you about them. EE Phone Number